Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Autism Awareness Day


Today is Autism Awareness Day!  Last year I had told myself I was going to raise money and actually run the 5k.  I was going to do this and I was going to do that.  But to be honest with you, I have barely had time to interact with my own kids, shave my legs or clean my house.  So...on the back burner it all went.  It does not mean I care any less.  It just means that I’m like every other teacher, wife and mother out there!  We may be AWESOME but we are HUMAN!
Every year at my school I do take a few minutes at a staff meeting and go over some basic information on Autism (I always do this at the beginning of the year, too).  This year, I’m creating a sign up sheet for teachers and will present some interactive mini lessons to the students.  I found the BEST Autism Awareness Unit at Sasha Hallagan’s TPT store.  You can check it out here.
 The fact that my kiddos are being included more and more means that some of the general pop might have some new questions or concerns.  In fact, as I was washing my hands in the restroom last week, one of the regular ed girls asked me why one of my kids shakes his hands in front of his face so much.  I gave a brief explanation and then hurried back to class.  But, her question and the concerned look on her face told me I needed to reach out a little more. I need to reach out not only to the kids that my students interact with everyday, but to all the kids in the school.  By giving them a chance to ask questions and providing honest answers, I’m bringing Autism Awareness where it’s needed most.

Maybe next year, I’ll run that 5k…



In honor of Autism Awareness I am providing a freebie, FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!!!  I am sharing a set of my conversation cards. Click here.  I have also provided the link in my Social Skills and My Social Scouts post.  Please let me know what you thinkJ



No comments:

Post a Comment