Friday, March 22, 2013

Visual Schedules



The most important evidenced based practice you can implement in your classroom is Visual Schedules.  When I first began teaching children with Autism, I did not know or understand the importance of Visual Schedules, and it showed!  My classroom was utter chaos and I was a nervous wreck!  Once I started using visual schedules, token boards, reinforcement menus and a visually structured work task system, my classroom and my sanity were saved.  Let’s take a look at implementing Visual Schedules in the classroom.
Typical PECS picture schedule presented horizontally
to prepare the student for reading.  If  your student
scans from top to bottom, then you would present the visual
schedule that way.
Step 1:  Assess where your students are.  Depending on the child’s level of functioning, you may need to use an object schedule, an actual photograph schedule, a picture schedule or a written schedule. In my class, I have one student who uses an object schedule.  I hand him a puzzle piece and he knows it’s time to work on a puzzles.  Most of my students are using a picture schedule with between 14 and 16 PECS pictures.  My kiddos LOVE their schedules.  Most of my students have an individual work- station, and their schedule is located on their bookcase.
 I have three students who are using a written schedule.  You can pair a written schedule with images and once the child is able to read the words in isolation, the picture prompt should be removed.  The goal is to have the student utilizing the supports effectively and appropriately with the least amount of support possible. 
Step 2:  Teach your students how to use their Visual Schedule by standing behind them and using least to most prompting. Once the student begins to catch on begin fading the prompts immediately.  Important Side Note:  Your students will become REALLY dependent on their schedules.  The plus side:  Your transition times will run much more smoothly, and you will see a decrease in negative behaviors.  BUT…. your student will NEED to be instructed on schedule changes, especially unexpected ones!  I can’t tell you how many times I have had a student’s whole day ruined because of a Fire Drill or cancelled resource class.
Step 3:  Take Data!  Data had been one of my self-proclaimed weaknesses.  Now, I’m a firm believer in data. Data should be collected to record how the students are using the schedules and at what level of independence.  When the student reaches independence, it is time to go back to step 1 and assess what level of visual support your student requires from his/her schedule.  
I hope this has been helpful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment